CPA is excited to announce auditions for our second annual black box play, Peter and the Starcatcher. This witty and thrilling play chronicles the origin of everyone’s favorite “boy who would not grow up.” Featuring an ensemble cast playing pirates, mermaids, and orphans, this show will keep actors and audiences on the edge of their seats. For this show, CPA will be experimenting with a new format and we are looking forward to seeing the results and hearing your feedback!
This will be one of our first attempts at a “cut-by-audition” approach, meaning that students will audition for roles, and not every student may get cast. In casting for this show, we are looking for students with prior acting experience. This is a challenging play with many moving parts and we are expecting student actors to be diligent about learning their lines and blocking in a timely manner. Additionally, we feel strongly that a student’s attitude and maturity should be considered in casting just as much as a student’s acting ability. CPA staff members will work with the directing team to create a cast that best meets the needs of the show, and highlights hardworking, respectful students.
Here’s how the audition process will work:
- Any student interested in auditioning can register for the mandatory audition workshop. The cost to participate in the workshop is $25. This helps us cover the cost of teaching artist time and materials. Registration for these audition slots will open on March 13th.
- The $25 fee is refundable until April 11th at 11:59 PM if a student chooses to give up their audition slot. However, if a student isn’t physically able to attend the workshop, they will still need to pay the $25 to secure their group 30-minute audition slot.
- Once you’ve registered and paid the $25 fee, students will be able to sign up for a group 30-minute audition time slot on either April 17th or 18th. (Due to scheduling constraints, we will only be able to accommodate 16 group audition slots. There will be 6 students able to sign up per slot.)
- At the audition workshop, on April 13th, students will get the chance to receive coaching on audition sides from CPA teaching artists, play team-building games, learn a small vocal section, and learn about movement techniques that will be used in the show, in small groups. Throughout the night, the director and assistant director will travel from group to group to see how they take direction and work with other students.
- At the end of auditions on April 18th, we will extend offers for students to join us at callbacks. (Please note: we can not guarantee that all students will receive a callback.)
- After callbacks, the directing team will deliberate and reach out to students individually to offer parts. Cast members will have 48 hours to accept their role and pay the remaining $270 of the fee. If a student would not like to accept their role, the directing team will extend the offer to another student.
- Please note that while this is a traditional play, Peter and the Starcatcher is considered a “play with music”. There are several musical moments that might require a student(s) to vocalize. Singing will be included in the workshop and auditions.
Please carefully review this calendar to find the rehearsal and performance schedules. Absences are acceptable within reason, but will not be allowed during Tech week and performances. If your student has conflicts during tech and performances, please consider whether or not this is the right fit for your child. Having students gone during these times makes it extremely difficult to ensure the show will be ready and be successful.Register